How many of you also have the handbag problem? If you carry a small bag, you might not have what you need when you need it. But carry around a tote filled with whatever you need in any situation, and you risk back, neck, and shoulder pain. So, do you go big or small? I’ve been struggling with this for a long time and I think I’ve finally figured it out! It’s great to have a toothbrush and toothpaste on you at all times, maybe even a sample size shampoo, but seriously, what are the odds you’ll really need them on an ordinary day? Keep your handbag essentials to the minimum and you’ll always be prepared- without lugging around a suitcase. Here are the things you should carry around with you:
- ID. Always have your driver’s license or other photo ID.
- Tissues. Tissues are a handbag staple. Convenient on the go packs are light and won’t take up too much space.
- Cash. Even in the age of credit cards and digital anything, you should always have a little bit of cash on you- $20 is good.
- A healthy snack. It’s a good idea to carry around a protein bar or a small bag of nuts for emergency snacking. A healthy snack will give you an energy boost when you’re running around all day and prevent you from making bad food choices when you’re starving. And you won’t have to spend extra money on food while you’re out.
- Band-Aids. Basic first-aid, and for me, absolutely necessary during sandal season!
- Pain relief. I never want to get dragged down by a surprise headache, so I always have a travel size package of Tylenol or Advil in my bag.
- Safety pins. Just a few, in case of emergency.
- Hand sanitizer. Look for one with vitamin E or other moisturizer to keep your skin from drying out.
- Breath freshener. Mints, gum, or spray.
- Tampons or pads. Always be prepared!
- Hair needs. A few bobby pins and a hair tie.
- Small notebook and pen. Even if you use the notebook app on your phone.
- Lip balm. It’s small enough, so indulge. Or a small lipstick or lip gloss, if you prefer.
You don’t need to carry around the contents of your makeup drawer… and your bathroom… and your kitchen to be prepared. Pare down your handbag to these essentials and your shoulder will thank you!